Tax Time Blues

Tax Time Blues

Let’s say you’re a working mom with three kids. Your ex just told you he claimed the kiddos on his taxes because he pays child support. There’s nothing in your judgment about this. What happens if you claim the kids on your taxes?

If you both claim the kids, the IRS may catch the “double deduct” and call both of you in for a tax audit. This could cost you a great deal of money and a great big headache.

On the other hand, the IRS says that the custodial parent has the right to the deduction under Section 152(e) of the Internal Revenue Code, so you will win the battle unless your ex can show that you signed a waiver of the deduction.


Cunningham Dalman, PC publishes this web site and its component parts to inform users about our firm, our attorneys and general new developments in the law. The web site and blogs are not intended as legal advice on any matter. There are many factors that may affect your situation. You should not act or refrain from acting because of information found here without first seeking appropriate legal or other professional advice from someone who is familiar with your particular circumstances.

In the operation of this web site and our blogs, we do not intend to create an attorney-client relationship with you and no such relationship shall be created by your use of this web site. Such a relationship can only be established to the extent an attorney at Cunningham Dalman, PC expressly agrees to undertake the relationship. Please do not communicate to us any information you regard as confidential unless and until we have established a formal attorney-client relationship with you. Any information you send to us before we establish an attorney client relationship may not be privileged or confidential. Information you send to us over the Internet may not be secure.


Recent Posts

Upcoming Events


Cunningham Dalman P.C.
PO Box 1767
321 Settlers Road
Holland, MI 49422-1767

Google Map


2019 Best of the Best Law Firm | Cunningham Dalman
Scroll to Top

Tell Us How We Can Help You

Send us a quick message or call us at 616.392.1821!

Call Now Button